Re: electrolytic capacitors

High their!

When I was kid (6th grade). I made a battery charger using baking soda
electrolyte, carbon rod (from a #6 Le Clanche
cell) and a sheet of aluminum. Soon after I read that I'd made half of an
electrolytic cap.

bc

P.s. In an early foray into industry, I made a hiV. ramp generator to test
BaTiOx caps. The charging rate (electron flow-flow) would give the cap., but
more important(ly?) would indicate when it saturated! (memory, ca. '62)

P.p.s In addition to the informative post below: The construction of
electrolytic caps. easily explains why their tolerance is + large value (e.g.
200%) - smaller value (e.g. 50%), and during still another foray (about the
same time at Raytheon) "blown" storage caps. for flash pumping of Cr and Nd
were too expensive to toss, so we'd "heal" them by charging them overnight in
series with, say, ten megs. This way one may convert a polarized to a
non-polarized cap.

John Denker wrote:

At 10:29 PM 1/29/01 -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
Electrolytic capacitors ...
> How do they get so much capacitance in such a small package?

At one level you already know how to get a big capacitance in a small
package: you want the thinnest possible gap between the capacitor
plates. So the question is, how might we accomplish that.

The parts of an electrolytic capacitor are arranged like this:
terminal wire
aluminum foil (plate 1)
liquid electrolyte (which is conducting and reactive)
oxide (which is insulating, and very thin)
aluminum foil (plate 2)
terminal wire

We want the oxide to be very thin. On the other hand, if it is too thin it
will break down and allow DC current to flow. The brilliant idea is that
the breakdown current will cause an electrochemical reaction will take
place, laying down more oxide. The layer gets thicker until no more DC
current flows, whereupon you have a capacitor with exactly the right amount
of dielectric.

This comes with a few drawbacks:
*) You never know for sure how thick the layer will be, so you never
know for sure the capacitance value.
*) The required thickness depends on the operating voltage. And the
chemical reaction is reversible. Consequently, if you operate one of these
critters for a long time at a voltage less than its rated voltage, the
capacitance will increase.
*) Note that only one plate has an oxide layer. If you reverse the
polarity, the capacitor doesn't work at all, and can easily be destroyed.
*) The liquid layer isn't the world's best conductor, so there is a
nontrivial series resistance. This degrades the usefulness at high
frequencies. A very common practice is to use a high-capacitance
electrolytic capacitor in parallel with a lower-capacitance
non-electrolytic capacitor; the former can carry a large current at low
frequencies, while the latter can carry a large current at high
frequencies. (A high-capacitance non-electrolytic capacitor would be much
more bulky and expensive.)

BTW you can make the plates out of materials other than aluminum. Tantalum
works particularly nicely.

Is this "capattery"
<http://www.evanscap.com/Capattery.html > the same thing?

That sounds similar, but they don't give enough detail about the product to
allow me to say much more than that. I have no idea what is the chemical
nature of the dielectric layer in that product.

The name is a blend of "capacitor" and "battery". There's nothing special
about that; if we view things as "two-terminal black boxes", any battery
can be viewed as a capacitor, with an enormous capacitance and terrible
high-frequency performance. But they have very different physics
internally; discharging a capacitor, even an electrolytic capacitor, does
not require a chemical reaction.