Re: "equals" versus "is"

While I don't disagree with anything that John wrote, I think
he misses an important point that is troublesome to students. The
dichotomy is not between "equals" and "is", but between "equals" and
"is the same as". This is a distinction that mathematicians often make
by use of the identity symbol ("=" topped by a "~"). In physics, and
elementary math courses, we seldom make that distinction, with the result
that "A=B" may have one of two meanings.
If, for example, I have independent ways to define the quantities
force, mass and acceleration (not a trivial task), then the equation
F=ma is a statement about the result of three different measurents, as
John stated. When, on the other hand, I write: 6=3x2 I am stating that
the number 6 <is the same as> the product of the numbers 3 and 2. These
are, conceptually, two different uses of the equal sign.
Students often confuse these two different uses. If you require
your students to write out and explain their steps in solving problems,
you will often find students making statements such as "since F is the
same as mass times acceleration...". Such a statement is conceptually
wrong, but seems to follow naturally from the student's prior experience
with the use of "=". I think that teachers should be alert for this
misconception and begin to correct it from its earliest appearance.
Regards,
Jack