Re: accerelation due to gravity

At 10:29 AM +0200 1/26/01, Savinainen Antti wrote:
I just want to make a comment on the following excerpt (taken from Leigh's
posting):

When I introduce this topic I suppress
mention of the centrifugal force when I introduce weight, defining it simply
as the reading on a scale (or spring balance). I then tell them weight is
the product of an object's mass and the gravitational field at the weight's
position, the latter being g in the laboratory on Earth's surface. In the
orbiting Space Shuttle the gravitational field is nearly zero, so we say the
astronauts inside are weightless, or very nearly so. All of these statements
conform to both scientific and common cultural understanding.

I disagree with Leigh that the gravitational field would be zero (or very
nearly zero) in the orbiting space shuttle.
The very reason for the orbiting is the gravitational force exerted by the
Earth and hence the gravitational field cannot be zero.
Of course astronauts inside the shuttle feel apparent weightlessness because
the satellite is in a free fall.

You don't disagree with me, you use a different convention for what you
call "weight" and "gravitational field". The convention I use is, I claim,
simpler to teach and to understand. It has the additional virtue that the
equivalence principle is already built in; the word "apparent" never, um,
appears!

Some considerable time after introducing weight in this manner it is to
be shown that weight has a centrifugal force component on Earth's surface
and in the orbiting shuttle. The latter is larger, that's all.

Leigh