Re: Conducting Wave-Particle debates with students

Hi Joe-
There was a time when "wave-particle duality" stood for an
apparent paradox. The apparent paradox stemmed from a certain mindset
that was trying to come to terms with quantum mechanics.
Feynman, in particular, has taught us that the mindset that
saw a paradox is not really productive. Interference, which we first
experienced when playing with sound and light, occurs also with electrons
and atoms. The two contrasting situations are not waves and particles
but coherence and incoherence. Given this view, it is difficult to say
what one means by the word "particle." Without good definitions of
the two words, "wave" and "particle", there is nothing to discuss.
My advice is: avoid wave-particle duality and get your people
to come to grips with the really important concept: coherence.
Regards,
Jack