Re: Toward the equilibrium

Tim Folkerts wrote:

... In real life the charge has to move to the conductor, and
the last part of the trip will presumably involve some arcing.
The faster the motion or the more shielded the conductor, the
longer the time to reach equilibrim.

1) I am flattered to be confused with Leigh in his message.
2) No arcing will take place in a vacuum. Think about the
arriving +Q as a bunch of alpha particles, or replace 1 uC by
1 nC, to avoid complications.
3) It occured to me now, as I am typing, that the equilibration
time may be shorter when Q is larger. But this is not obvious.
Ludwik Kowalski