Re: Toward the equilibrium

At 11:15 1/4/01 -0500, Bob wrote:
/snip/
The model which I described envisions an unbalanced charge present in the
interior of a uniform conductor at t=0, and predicts an exponential decay
of the charge at that point - with a time constant of
epsilon/conductivity.

The derivation is not complex and is in almost any Junior E/M text.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)

I had better pursue this one - the concept is important to
intending engineers.

If the initials following Bob's signature represent his amateur
radio interest, then I expect he will have no dificulty in describing
the time progression of a shock excited end fed dipole of 1 meter length,
and say 5 mm diameter.
For non enthusiasts, I am describing a high Q structure that resonates
near 150 MHz for numerous cycles after a shock impulse on one end.

Military sites that need more bandwidth capability from a dipole antenna
replace the slender wire first with lower length/diameter conductors, or if
necessary with two cones, base to base. The Q is reduced, and the bandwidth
increased.
The conductive sphere is a limiting case of this design variation.
You expect resonant frequency lowering, very low Q and wide bandwidth.

The side to side electrical field effects are certainly in the nanoseconds
timescale so if Bob cares to cite an elementary E/M text which appears to
show superluminal effects on the timescale he mentions, I expect I will
be able to point out the appropriate interpretation.

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!