From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 05:22 PM
Subject: Stability (was Earnshaw's theorem)
. . .
That Earnshaw's theorem refers to a system which excludes
non-electric forces. Does a "rigid cloud" made from tiny beads
mounted on sticks, depend on other forces? Yes and no, so
to speak. Is it not true that all significant forces keeping this
structure together, including the glue, are electrical? But the
structure is stable, beads do not move with respect to each
other. Is this a paradox?
Ludwik Kowalski