From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: Induced dipole moments

. . .
A spherical shell of charge? Hmm, not really! Here the
restoring force is zero everwhere. The neutral equilibrium is
not the same thing as real equilibrium in the center of a
uniformly charged sphere. I suppose that this is not the only
way to trap +Q in the center of a structure made from pieces
of -Q. What about an oxygen nucleus in the center of a cube
made of 8 electrons, one at each corner?

The world is made of netral atoms; most atoms are stable.
Everything must be in motion to produce stability (which
rimes with immobility). Right? What a world !
Regards, Ludwik