Re: "Dr." and all that

At 18:17 12/31/00 -0800, Leigh wrote:
>* Evelyn prefers to be called "Mrs. Palmer" by her students, but a
few students insist upon calling her "Dr. Palmer" or "Sir".

/snip/

I know that Canadians have many customs that differ considerably from
ours down here in the US, but I didn't know they addressed women as
"Sir." Leigh, is that a typo?

/snip/

"Sir" turns out to be the common form used to address teachers in private
schools here in Canada, regardless of sex [sic]. A few students carry this
habit over to university, and Evelyn teaches the first chemistry course
they take at SFU.

Leigh

Does nobody read 'Snoopy' round here?
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK