Re: "Dr." and all that

>* Evelyn prefers to be called "Mrs. Palmer" by her students, but a
few students insist upon calling her "Dr. Palmer" or "Sir". The
title "Mrs." is on the nameplate on her door. It is considered to
be an honorable title in our generation and culture.

I know that Canadians have many customs that differ considerably from
ours down here in the US, but I didn't know they addressed women as
"Sir." Leigh, is that a typo?

No, but it is "sic" [that's a joke, son].

"Sir" turns out to be the common form used to address teachers in private
schools here in Canada, regardless of sex [sic]. A few students carry this
habit over to university, and Evelyn teaches the first chemistry course
they take at SFU.

Leigh