Re: Squeeky Snow

Joel Rauber wrote:

Amazing, I was just about to post a similar item, it being -10 here in SD.
I've assumed that it is some sort of a phase change in the snow, as it seems
to be quite pronounced; but I wouldn't stake much on that idea. My
impression is that the temperature is warmer than Doug quotes. I'd suggest
that just about any negative temperature (Fahrenheit); and maybe even in the
early single digits can one notice a squeaky snow effect.

Ok, its warmed up here to a balmy -17 C to -18 C (about 0 F) at 81%
relative humidity, and yes the snow still squeeks. Not as loud, and
more of a rusty hinge type of squeek, but still definite squeeking. One
more observation, if you step down with your heel and twist, you get a
faint very high pitched squeek.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html