Re: strobe viewing of flames (Was: wind instrument +- filtering ofbroadband noise)

Once again I'm joining late. The rotating mirror was used by Whetstone
as I recall to try to measure the speed of electricity in wires, and my
Koenig, the inventor of the manometric flame, to study pressure
variations in resonating tubes. I don't think it was used to
investigate the properties of flames, which seems to be the direction
this discussion is going....fully recognizing that it can change
direction at the drop of a hat. Koenig also designed and constructed an
interesting, sort of digital Fourier synthesizer and analyser using
Helmholtz resonsators. The detector in the former was a large rotating
mirror with some 12 or so manometric flames running simultaneously.

cheers

On Mon,