Instructor Load

Hi;

We are considering hiring a full time lectureship position (masters
degree level- non tenure track) to teach undergraduate level lab
courses. Our labs are 2 credit, 3 contact hours a week each (but labs
don't meet the first or last week of the semester). I would
appreciate hearing what folks on the list think would be an
appropriate teaching load for such a position. A tenure track faculty
here would teach four courses of 3 credits each (three contact hours
a week each course) with a little more than a third of us getting one
course release time for research efforts.

I'll also take any advice on how to most effectively use this kind of
position. The trend in higher ed seems to be towards more lectureship
positions and away from tenure track positions- I have thus far been
unable to convince the administration that this ought to be a tenure
track position which is what we really need.

Thanks.

kyle
kyle forinash 812-941-2390
kforinas@ius.edu