Re: Mass/Energy Conservation

To obtain all our responses, I'll bet!!

Vernier sells the equip. to measure respiration products, and, therefore,
metabolism. I think. (I found one for the metabolism of peas -- glucose to
CO2.)

David Bowman wrote:

Also, don't forget sweating, tears, & other secretions and the
evaporation of such; skin cell exfoliations, hair loss, etc., etc.

BTW, what's the point of Dave A.'s initial question anyway?

I assume that you are remembering to include drinking water in the
"food" calculation. There are other mass exchanges as well with
sweating and respiration. We breath out a lot of water vapor (its been
-30 here in Winnipeg this week, I've seen that one a lot) plus exchange
O2 for CO2. Hence there is a net loss of weight from breathing. This
might be an interesting back of the envelope calculation.

(Doug, how do you manage to see water *vapor*? ;-) )

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu