Re: resonator demo

At 10:58 AM 12/9/00 -0500, Michael Edmiston wrote:
At one point John Denker wrote "In the linear regime, when driving a
resonator with an off-resonance signal, it _always_ responds at the
frequency of the driving force, _never_ at its resonant frequency or any
other frequency."

John, doesn't this depend upon how strong the driving force is and how
strongly it's coupled to the oscillating system?

I stand by what I wrote. The examples below are cases where either
a) the system has departed the linear regime, or
b) the driven system has perturbed the drive frequency, in which case my
statement applies to the _actual_ drive frequency, not the intended drive
frequency.

If I take a small spring pendulum and grab the mass with my hand and move it
up and down, it moves exactly how my hand tells it to move because the force
of my hand completely overshadows the restoring force and my hand dictates
the momentum of the system. For all practical purposes, the net force on
the mass is the force of my hand. In this scenario I could agree with
John's statement.

OK.

However, if I take a very large spring pendulum with mass perhaps even more
than my mass, I don't think I would be strong enough to make it oscillate at
a frequency totally determined by me. In this case it might be difficult to
decide if I am driving it or it is driving me, except if we assume I am the
energy source that starts the motion in the first place, then I would be
inclined to say I am the driver. But I am not going to be able to make that
big mass match my frequency unless my frequency matches its natural
frequency.

1) For present purposes it doesn't really matter who is driving whom, but
if that is a topic of interest, see the "cause and effect" thread last
month, e.g. 06:36 PM 10/27/00 -0400.