Rabi quotations

Hi--

I came across this quote during my digging through books and thought it
might be of interest. It certainly sells physics!

...I think that physics should be the central study in all schools. I
don’t mean physics as it is usually taught--very badly, as a bunch of
tricks--but, rather, an appreciation of what it means, and a feeling for
it. I don’t want to turn everybody into a scientist, but everybody has
to be enough of a scientist to see the world in the light of science--to
be able to see the world as something that is tremendously important
beyond himself, to be able to appreciate the human spirit that could
discover these things, that could make instruments to inquire and
advance into its own nature. I rate this so highly that with this
education people would find something above their religious
affiliations, and find a basic unity in the spirit of man."

Isidor Isaac Rabi, quoted by Jeremy Bernstein, Experiencing Science.
N.Y.: E.P. Dutton (1978), p. 126.

--
Carl C. Gaither and Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/StatBook/