Re: Sodaplay: Tacoma Narrows resonator

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I have great difficulty understanding the death grip some folks
have on calling this phenomenon a resonance. What is the practical
value in doing so? All that is accomplished if one admits this new
meaning is that the meaning of the term becomes less precise. The
only benefit seems to be that the Tacoma Narrows Bridge film can
then be shown as an example of that other meaning.

It was my understanding of the Tacoma Narrows film that the wind happened
to be moving at just the right speed so that the vortex-shedding frequency
hit a natural oscillation frequency of the bridge, and so the amplitude
grew enormous. It's "flag flapping" which drives a swinging pendulum.
For months before the disaster, the wind was at the wrong speed. Am I
mistaken?

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L