Re: What to "cover" (Was dimensionsless units etc.)

Arlyn said in part (several days ago)

This is ok if things are typical but we all know that time gets
"readjusted" because of things like Tim describes. Then there is the
education reform movement that in my school has changed the schedule to
be 85 days of 85 minute periods for a total of 120 hours (not including
interruptions like school assemblies, state or national tests, etc.).
What is a conscientious teacher to do? My response has been to look at
the TIMSS results and decide to make sure I don't lower the standards on
what I teach which means I cover less. Even compounded over 4 years of
this new schedule the loss of 30 hours of science each year of high
school means 120 less hours of science in a "good student's" high school
career, the equivalent of a FULL YEAR of science classes.

AMEN

This is not unique to science but is a common problem in education
today. In generations past knowledge was difficult to find (at least
"accurate" facts) so teachers were valued because they had these
"facts". Teachers could provide the knowledge quickly by lecture to
many students. Parents (and others) taught processes, thinking skills,
"common sense".

Today facts are found easily - the internet for example.

I don't think is quite as obvious as it seems. You can find a lot of facts
*and* a lot of non-facts, i.e. nonsense on the internet. Students still
need a source of facts from a "trusted" source. This would have in the past
been their teacher and textbooks (ideally I admit). The internet isn't
really a substitute. I believe that this still means that teachers need to
provide knowledge quickly to their students (relying on the internet to do
this is not wise); but it also means as Arlyn says that developement of
thinking skills is important to help students reach a point where they can
seperate some of the wheat from the chaff on the internet.

Parents are
short on time (we are all too busy - much more than our parents and
grandparents) but they can easily provide access to the information.

Comments above are applicable here as well; I'd argue that one of the roles
of the teacher and texts in a course is to provide a well-accepted (peer
reviewed in at least some sense), sub-set of pre-digested vital information
needed to understand a subject. Relying on the sources of easily accessible
information is like asking the student to go outside in the middle of a
blizzard and find the white ping pong ball.

Students don't know what to do with the facts so teachers must supply
the process skills - a time consuming, labor intensive, time intensive
task. But we are supposed to do this in the same amount of time (even
less because we are also supposed to provide self esteem and fun
learning experiences).

Again this is well-stated. What to do? What to do?

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu