Re: Misconceptions assessments?

Gate Keeper says (has a minuscule knowledge of ASL) yes, but more fingers are
necessary for spelling. Using the competing sign language method would be
impossible.

bc

Waiting for correction.

"Paul O. Johnson" wrote:

Bernard & Nancy,

How would this work for cartoon characters who have only three fingers?

Which reminds me of an anecdote. Several years ago, I attended a meeting at
DisneyWorld at which one of our group was deaf mute. One day as we waited
for a lunch table at one of the restaurants, Mickey Mouse appeared and went
from party to dining party engaging everyone in light conversation. Of
course, half of the talk was silent because Mickey conversed only in
pantomime.

Not knowing our companion was mute, Mickey tried to get her to talk. When
she responded in American sign language, Mickey immediately responded in the
same language. (You may have heard how well trained all DisneyWorld
employees are.) The really surprising part of this was that Mickey had only
three fingers on each hand.

Paul O. Johnson
Collin County College