Re: Misconceptions assessments? decimate

Thanks -- another "memorism"? exposed!

I should ahve consulted my unabridged, which writes selected: by lot (every
tenth). My search did find a "tipping point" for casualties, but did not give a
%age, and did indicate that morale was dependant on a variety of other factors
-- (so what else is new!).

Perhaps the generals selected tenth, because they had ten digits?

bc

P.s. I haven't found a reference to "memorism" -- is it the correct word?

Zach Wolff wrote:

The Oxford English Dictionary tells us "decimate"
comes from the practice in the Roman army of executing
one of every ten as a punishment for mutiny. A quick
online search finds support for this:

Word Detective:
<<http://www.word-detective.com/110598.html>>

Amercian Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:
<<http://www.bartleby.com/61/35/D0073500.html>>

About Latin:
<<http://www.latin.about.com/homework/latin/library/blverbA-E.htm#decimate>>

All these sources mention that in recent times the
definition is sometimes extended to mean "to destroy a
large part of" but they agree on the status of this
use. The OED marks it as "loosely or rhetorically"
while American Heritage says that 66% of its usage
panel supports this extension to killing a large part
of a population, but only 26% support the extension to
destruction of anything else. About Latin supports
the new use so long as it is not confused with
"annihilate" Word Detective also finds the new use
100% acceptable and argues strongly against those who
don't.

In any event, it seems the extension to "a lot"
happened in a different way than Bernard Cleyet
suggested. I do not believe this story lends
particular support to the theory that 10% is a
psychologically important amount.

Zach Wolff