Re: FOX Show

At 07:54 10 11 2000 , you wrote:
I didn't see the show.

What do you mean by "two legs through the pulley?"

My questions have to do with the show -- not the physics. In order to
answer one needs to have seen the show, because I can't be sure of the
problem before us.

It is interesting that "simple machines" are probably stressed in
middle-school science classes more than at any other academic level... but
the treatment of pulleys is almost always botched by middle-school science
teachers who have not had a good college physics course... and that includes
a lot of teachers.

Yes, but ....

In this case the _kid_ got the answer correct but the _show_ seems to have
made a mistake.

As I recall from the brief glimpse I had the question had to do with the
standard two pulley problem -- I hope someone can verify this:

A cable runs over a pulley suspended from the ceiling down and through a
lower pulley and back up to the ceiling. The lower pulley holds a 120lb
weight. What is the tension in the cable?

The student said 60lbs and Dick Clark in his aged state said that the
correct answer is 40lbs.

_My_ question is did I see and hear correctly?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen