Re: Misconceptions assessments?

On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 14:32:37 -0700 Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM> writes:

What is the main reason for it being colder in winter than in
summer?
A. The earth is farther away from the sun in winter than in
summer.

The main problem I see here is the poor grammar: it should be
"...reason for it's being colder..."

That's not the main problem. The main problem is that
the word "it" has not been defined in the statement.
Wherever you are located on the earth during the winter
it is generally colder than it is in the summer at your
location.

Herb gottlieb from New York City
(Where we are further from the sun in the summer)