Re: Clausius

At 10:28 AM 10/12/00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
It is clear that Clausius' family name was "Gottlieb" and that because of
some weirdness in the 19th c, somebody adopted the latin name "Clausius" --
either RJEClausius himself or his father, Ernst Carl Gottlieb.

Does anyone have any definitive comment here?

Does anyone have a definitive (or at least helpful) citation?

This is essentially the same question that he asked 1.5 years ago:

At 03:05 PM 5/23/99 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
> What I really want to have
>is a reference to this -- I can't find one anywhere.
> Any citation would be helpful.

And the answer I gave then still applies. If the following citations do
not suffice, please explain.

Clausius's father was named Carl E. Gottlieb [ref 2].

Clausius himself was called Rudolf Julius Emmanuel Clausius. No evidence
has yet been adduced suggesting he ever called himself anything else.

Respectable references I checked include:
1) Encyclopedia Britannica
2) World's Who's Who in Science
3) Dictionary of Scientific Biography

Another consistent data point is this:
At 08:14 AM 5/24/99 -0400, Bob Muir wrote:
>Asimov in his Biographical Encyclopedia of Science & Technology has a
>short recap of Clausius' work, but does not mention a name change.

The web page by Padgett is not sufficiently reliable IMHO, but even it says
our hero is "universally known as Clausius".

The DSB contains two pointers which I did not dereference, namely:
There is no biography of Clausius other than the short
sketch in _Allgemeine deutsche Biographie_, LV, 720-729, but
a recent article by Grete Ronge, "Die Zuricher Jahre des
Physikers Rudolf Clausius," in _Gesnerus_, 12 (1955), 73 108
includes some new information about his personal life.