Re: Netscape mailer and HTML

Maurice Barnhill wrote:
3. Judging from D.V.N.Sarma's messages, the list server never sends
the relevant header. Hence Netscape will never correctly format an HTML
message sent through the server.

Yes, this discussion is really about what we would do should it become
possible to send HTML mail through the server. Or perhaps it is whether
we should add our voices to those suggesting to lists.nau.edu that we
would like the possibility.

Since we are told that many readers of this list receive it in digest
form, this may present a special challenge to the server.

"wanting to use HTML" to "tolerant of HTML." I do like the suggestion
of including a URL pointing to a web page that has the necessary
formatting, and I will do this if I need to post something that really
needs careful formatting. Unfortunately, many people don't have access
to the space or the software resources to use this suggestion, so it is
a mediocre possibility at best.

Access to free web space abounds. I hesitate to even begin mentioning
any because I'm bound to miss somebody's favorite. The free web space
usually comes with authoring tools, but how many people don't already
have FrontPage Express (comes with internet explorer) or Netscape
Composer (comes with Netscape), or notepad/simpletext (as Ludwick
pointed, learn about 10 tags and you're off and running with a text
editor - its not hard)?. Here are a few free hosting sites:

http://www.homestead.com
http://www.namezero.com/services/serv-pf_details.jsp
http://www.hometown.aol.com/
http://www.tripod.lycos.com/
http://angelfire.lycos.com/
http://geocities.yahoo.com/home/

However, I have found the security systems in some schools will forbid
access to user spaces on some of these domains, so these may not be
accessible by everybody in PHYS-L. Namezero, where you get your own
domain, may be the best on the list for this reason. In any event
pretty much anybody who has pop email access (something besides webmail
like hotmail) has web space associated with the same account.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html