Van de Graaf Generator

I am a Floridian with lots of humidity to contend with. Consequently, I
cannot get my VdG to reproduce some of the cool things I have seen it do.
Most important, I cannot get it to throw a spark across a Leydon jar. When
it's working, it's awesome. Any suggestions on how to get the most out of
the machine? Thanks in advance. We are doing a benefit to raise money for
a children's museum and we're doing a host of demos. If any one has an
entertaining favorite please pass it along.

Tom McCarthy