Glenn Commission Report: Before It's Too Late (intro)

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:54:03 -0400
From: Jodi Peterson <jodi_p@nsta.org>
Subject: NSTA Legislative Update: Glenn Commission Report

National Science Teachers Association: Legislative Update
September 27, 2000

**Glenn Commission Issues Final Report on Science and Mathematics Teaching
for the 21st Century**

Earlier this morning at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, former Senator
John Glenn released the final report of the National Commission on
Mathematics and Science Teaching for the 21st Century (known as the Glenn
Commission). The 48-page report provides a comprehensive plan which details
a number of ways to improve the quality of science and math teaching
nationwide.

This past year, the distinguished blue ribbon panel of chief executives,
members of Congress, and educators who comprised the Glenn Commission met
five times to hear from experts in the field about the best ways to address
the challenges facing science and math education.

The recommendations made in the Glenn Commission report, which is titled
"Before It's Too Late," are based on three goals:

1. Establish an ongoing system to improve the quality of mathematics and
science teaching in grades K-12.
2. Increase significantly the number of mathematics and science teachers and
improve the quality of their preparation.
3. Improve the working environment and make the teaching profession more
attractive for K-12 mathematics and science teachers.

The Commission estimates the action strategies for achieving the three goals
will cost more than $5 billion annually.

"We as a nation must take immediate action to improve the quality of math
and science teaching in every classroom in the country. If we delay, we put
at risk our continued economic growth and future scientific discovery," said
Senator Glenn. "Here we outline a workable, balanced strategy that builds on
what has been learned in the last decade, improves teaching, and thereby
improves student achievement."

Teachers are encouraged to download the full text of "Before It's Too Late:
The Report to the Nation from The National Commission on Mathematics and
Science Teaching for the 21st Century" from www.ed.gov/americacounts/glenn.

Before It's Too Late : The Report to the Nation by the National Commission
on Mathematics and Science Teaching for the 21st Century
Foreword by John Glenn
Executive Summary

I. The Problem: Our Students' Performance in Mathematics and Science Is
Unacceptable
The Recycled Message of TIMSS and NAEP: We Are Losing Ground

Why Does This Matter?
1. The demands of our changing economy and workplace
2. Our democracy's need for an educated citizenry
3. The links of mathematics and science to our national security interests
4. The deeper value of mathematical and scientific knowledge

II. The Time To Act Is Now

III. Toward a Solution: We Must Place Better Teaching at the Center of
Mathematics and Science Education
(1) Now, more than ever, America's students must improve their performance
in mathematics and science.
(2) The most direct route to improving mathematics and science achievement
for all students is better mathematics and science teaching.

IV. What Happens in Most Classes

V. What Could Happen: We Need To Capture a Vision of High-Quality Teaching

VI. Three Goals

What Can You Do--Checklists for seven targeted stakeholder groups (School
Boards and Superintendent Team, Principals, Teachers, Parents, State
Leadership, Higher Education Institutions, Business)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[Next time I'll post Goal 1.
cheers,Jane]

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu