Re: Concerned About Grades

At 21:23 10/4/00 -0500, John Clement wrote:
There is another possible justification for giving higher grades. I pre
and posttest all of my students using the Force&Motion Evaluation from
Tufts U. My gain is excellent, compared to other introductory physics
classes. I can then justify the giving of higher grades on the basis that
my students are actually learning more than in other physics courses. The
fact that physics is an elective, and is taken by the better students is a
secondary concern.

The higher grades seem to have contributed to a larger enrollment, and
they have also made the administration happier.

/snip/
John M. Clement
St. Pius HS, Houston, TX.

Wow! A grading schema that has benefits for several participants
to the process other than the administation and teaching staff's
sense of what is appropriate - and it's rationally based.

(Marks that reflect the teaching/learning gain offered by the
instructor is quite a radical concept, don't you think?)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!