Re: Concerned About Grades

As I read all the comments, emotion, minutia on grades, it strikes me that students must get an A. No matter what grade the kid gets, someone has a well reasoned argument for diminishing the meaning of the grade. Thus: get an A so the residue after the application of 'doubts and concerns' is as high as possible.

I think the discussion justifies the feeding frenzy for 'grades.' Is it possible that each of our doubts about quality of grades arises from our own experience with grades, our own doubts about our knowledge and abilities, our individual hubris about the proper content and method to use in our classrooms?

I don't have a 'better suggestion'. I just don't see a lot of good coming out of this expenditure of time and energy.

Ed Eckel