Re: A language issue (comment)

My sister-in-law, who is an editor, told me ^ it is usually possible to
remove every occurrence of "that," and in doing so improve the writing.
Exceptions indeed seem to be the "restrictive clauses" ^ Mike Smith
mentioned. Therefore, I have been on a campaign in my writing, and when
grading lab reports, to cross out every "that" ^ I can. In fact, I left out
a "that" in every preceding sentence. I placed a caret in each place ^ many
people would insert "that."

Some people, in trying to eliminate all their thats, end up substituting
"which," and often make the situation worse.

I like to use my copy of "Dictionary of Problem Words and Expressions"
(Harry Shaw, McGraw-Hill, 1975). (There are quite a few similar books.)
Shaw makes exactly the same distinction between that and which already
mentioned by Mike Smith. Shaw adds a caution against using which for
people. A restrictive clause using "that" can refer to persons, animals, or
things. A non-restrictive clause should use "which" to refer to animals and
things, but should become "who" or "whom" when referring to persons. Shaw
gives a few examples of each.

Shaw also cautions writers to watch for unclear antecedents. I see this in
lab reports all the time. Students write some pretty long sentences, often
referring to several objects, then begin a phrase with "that," and I can't
tell which object they are referencing. Actually I can, from the context,
and it is often an object quite distant from the restrictive phrase. If the
reader assumes the restrictive phrase refers to the object closest to it (in
the sentence or paragraph), the overall effect the misplaced phrase can be
funny, or dumb, or both.

Of course, the problem in writing about proper grammar is it sets one up for
scrutiny. When you read my e-mails, please forget I ever wrote this
message. Then perhaps you will be less likely to say, "Ha, there's that
Edmiston guy who wrote about proper grammar, and look at the silly mistake
he made."

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817