Re: I would have been a botanist

Date sent: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:42:17 -0700
From: "Daniel L. MacIsaac" <Dan.MacIsaac@NAU.EDU>
Subject: Re: I would have been a botanist
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Send reply to: "phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators"
<PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>

I have a coffee mug produced by a publisher a few years back,
promoting one physics text or another. It says: "In science there
is only physics. All the rest is stamp collecting."

The version of Rutherford's quote that I am familiar with
is "Physics is the only science - the rest is stamp collecting."

Mind you, we are celebrating the denigration of another field here.
This is hardly appropriate for people trying to build some form of a
collaborative community on the internet. Surely more worthy things
than bigotry can be discussed here.

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern
AZ Univ danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu
PHYS-L list owner

Depends where you work - at my high the other chemistry teacher
and myself tell the biology they don't teach "real science" all the
time, after all each blade of grass is very different from each other -
all electron are the same. They know we are kidding and respect
their job.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pastuer