Re: water drops

Leigh!

I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the contribution of the analysis of dripping faucets to the "Science of Chaos!"

Remember? drip@cats.ucsc.edu

The UCSC collective's model also suggests that noise (air currents, vibration, etc.) is a factor in determining when the drop will fall.

bc

P.s. try: http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/mpsoland/chaos/intro/

Leigh Palmer wrote:

This might be a very simple question: Does water dropping from an orifice
make drops six times more massive on the moon than it would on the earth?

It's certainly a simple question, but it might not have a simple answer.

My first guess is that your first guess is correct. The release of
drops depends on surface tension (no different on the Moon given
same temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc) and the circumference
of the drop's waist (which might differ slightly with total mass),
and a balance with the weight (by my definition) of the drop. Six
times as massive is a good estimate.

Leigh