Fighting a Small Domestic Fire

I had a fire in my workshop/garage this evening.
On the positive side, I learned how to set up an
oxy acetylene torch to cut through a shaft.

On the negative side, I need to make good several
electrical power leads and replace some parts waiting
for the right moment to be useful.

Because fire-fighting is not usually practised at home,
I hope this note will serve in place.

I had an open flame. I had shop rags within reach of sparks.
Flames grew to four feet high and three feet across.
Despite opening double garage doors at one end, and having
an open door at the other, the smoke was thick and choking.
Not overwhelming, but close enough.

I had several resources for extinguishing flames.
A CO2 bottle.
A dry powder cannister
A garden hose.

The CO2 bottle blew so fiercely, it spread the flaming shop rags
round as well as snuffing some flames.
The garden hose seemed slow acting.

I was truly surprised by the kitchen sized dry powder design.
It was by far the fastest, most effective method on this particular
fire.
In retrospect, I reached for the CO2 first, because it has been
waiting in the garage for this occasion for quite a few years.
There was a dry powder cannister within reach - but it did not
come to mind immediately.

Things you might consider:
a dry powder cannister costs around $10. I can recommend them.
A garden hose hooked to an outside faucet is a comfort in time
of need. Nobody every regretted buying too many fire extinguishers.
If you asked your children and spouse where to find a fire
extinguisher right now, would everybody know, for sure?

Sincerely

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!