Re: Computer Interfaces in the Physics Lab

On the other hand, if you have an experiment where you want to keep
track of the temperature over a period of many hours, or even days or
weeks, your $1500 thermometer is a godsend. Unless you thrive on
arranging to have students come in at all hours of the day and night to
manually record the temperature. Oh, but I forgot: physics lab
activities never take more than an hour :-)

Best wishes,

Larry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larry Cartwright <exit60@ia4u.net>
Physics and Physical Science Teacher
Charlotte HS, Charlotte MI USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott Rippetoe wrote:

Pasco used to have me help with conventions, "teaching" in their "classroom"
on the floor of the NSTA exhibits area. One of my favorite tricks during my
presentation was to go through all the steps connecting a temperature
sensor, adding a graph and table display, setting a stop condition, etc.
then pointing out that essentially all we had done was make a $1500
thermometer. The point was that in this case it would be much better to walk
into the storeroom and grab a thermometer than to bother with computer
interfacing. The temperature sensor offers few advantages over a regular
thermometer. It responds as slowly as a regular thermometer, has the same
effective range, and the same level of precision. I thought it was pretty
funny that we would brag about collecting temperature data at 10 Hz when it
took nearly 30 seconds for the sensor to respond to large temeprature
changes.