From: brian whatcott <inet@INTELLISYS.NET>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 10:18:24 -0500
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Computers in the lab. /diatribe/

At 10:12 9/4/00 -0400, Michael Edmiston wrote:
Each teacher has to decide whether each experiment succeeds best
(promotes learning) by computerizing data acquisition or by more
manual data acquisition. Here are some of the ways I make that
decision....

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

It seems to me that this proposition is roughly equivalent to this
position:
"Each physician has to decide whether each course of treatment for
bacterial infection works best by using the preferred broadband
antibiotic or alternatively by prescribing bed rest and herbal
infusions, with daily acupuncture."

That is to say: if it has been established by respectable
experimental protocol that a certain prescription is far superior
to others, a physician would risk malpractise by deviating far
from this high road.