Re: How To Recruit Women to Tech and IT Classes

Hugh wrote:

Another problem facing women in physics
is that of rearing a family. Women who take time out from their
academic career to start a family often have a great deal of
difficulty getting back into the field.

Is this a problem peculiar to women? Or would men who would take time out
from their academic career to start a family also have great deal of
difficulty getting back into the field? My guess is that they would, and
perhaps would even have larger difficulties.

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu

I don't have any direct evidence, but I have heard some stories that
indicate that they have less trouble. I know several men who, after
military careers move directly from military service to academic
appointments, many of them in physics. Although this isn't quite the
same thing, it seems to me to be similar and I know of no women who
have had the same experience, although I'm sure there are some.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>