Phys-l: Request for Experienced Physics Teacher Advice and Contribution

Request for Experienced Physics Teacher
Advice and Contribution

I am collecting the advice that experienced physics teachers can offer to the first year physics teacher. The results will be used in several ways: guiding me in my first year of teaching, guiding others who read my master's project for which this is data, and to show that we, as a community, can do a lot to help each other (this listserv is an example of that) Plus, I intend to contribute the data to the community to be used in the training of new physics teachers in the future. Your advice may really improve future teachers!

PLEASE take however much time you can spare and contribute a sentence, paragraph, or
essay full of your advice, the things you wish somebody told you when you first started teaching.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
** Please respond to Julie-Peterson@nwu.edu**

First, I need to know who you are, about how much experience you have. Feel free to
tell me just that, or write more to let me know what type of teaching experiences you have had (years in different subjects, awards, workshops, projects, whatever you have
excelled in.)

Last, I need an answer to one basic question, "What advice would you offer the beginning first year physics teacher?"

If you need prompting, these are the follow up questions I have used for interviews, but feel free just to answer the main one question in the interest of time.

1. What advice would you give for professional development to a first year physics teacher?
2. What are the best resources that you would recommend to a first year physics teacher?
3. What do you recommend to new teachers to prevent burnout?
4. What professional teacher organizations do you belong to?
5. What is the basic structure of a lesson you find most effective?
6. What is the most important advice you would give to first year physics teachers who are women?
7. What is your best lesson? Why?

Permission to Use Information Contributed:
Because I have to do this officially, I request that any reply to this request for contributions in answer to the above questions in this email be free to be used for this Master's Project for the Master of Education program at Northwestern University or for any other paper written by Julie Peterson. Any reply to this email will be assumed to have consented to grant this permission.

Thank you again! I will compile everyone's answers and the information will be available to all participants who request it and possibly publicly also.

Best wishes, Julie Peterson

** Please respond to Julie-Peterson@nwu.edu **

--
Julie Peterson