Re: energy flow in the duck-pond

At 11:55 AM 7/22/00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
>Hmmmm. The posted solutions to the duck-pond puzzle invoked the principle
>of local conservation of energy, including energy flow.
>
>Do those who disrespect the local conservation of energy have a better way
>of solving this puzzle? If so, would they be so kind as to share it
with us?

John, I recognize that you don't regard highly the position of Leigh, me,
and others re the reificaton of energy, but if you have a question you
might pose it more clearly than this.

I don't see what is so unclear.

I think nearly everybody on the list understands the meaning of my
question. Nitpicking the form of the question will not deflect attention
from your inability to answer it.

If you mean that you insist on
reifying energy, just say so -- we will understand -- we won't agree, but
we will understand you. If you mean that the issue can't be properly
addressed without reifying energy, that would be just silly.

I mean that I predict that either
1) You can't solve the problem, or
2a) You solve it using local conservation of energy, or
2b) You solve it using something tantamount to L.C. of E., or
2c) You solve it by a method so laborious that it sets a new record for
silliness.

I repeat the challenge: If you have a solution to the duck-pond puzzle,
without using local conservation of energy, let's see it.