Re: Lab space and computers

As part of the SCALE-UP project, we've looked quite carefully at classroom
arrangements. We've tried tables of different shapes and configurations.
Round tables seem best at promoting student interactions and facilitating
movement by the teacher. Our 9 and 10 foot (diameter) tables were too big.
We current recommend 6 or 7 foot tables seating three teams of three
students. (See www.ncsu.edu/PER for photos.) Lab equipment is best kept in
the room (in cabinets along the sides) so that students have to determine
what to measure, how to measure it, and what equipment to use. An important
component of the new engineering accreditation standards is that students
need practice designing labs.

We tried desktop computers in flat and tower configurations, monitors on top
and beside, computers under the tables, etc. By far the best approach is to
use laptops. They are more expensive, but we feel they are definitely worth
the extra cost.

When monitors are used (even if they are directly on the table instead of on
top of a desktop computer) they block sightlines and minimize opportunities
for table-wide discussions. Students tend to "hide" behind them and focus
too much on the technology. Putting the computers on the floor lowers the
monitors a bit (but doesn't eliminate the visibility problem) but also makes
it very difficult to plug in MBL probes. Even if you leave the interfaces
plugged in all the time, you still have to crawl under the table to plug in
the probes. (It is possible to put the interface boxes on top of the table
and run the cords over the side or through a hole.) When a laptop is used,
it is easy for students to move them out of their way when they don't need
them. They don't block sightlines and when the lids are closed they are
essentially invisible. It is very important to make sure you can keep
students' attention AWAY from the screen when that is necessary. Having
continuous Internet access in the classroom is just as distracting as you
think it could be. Students use Instant Messenger to send notes to each
other (or to friends in far away places). I've even had students bring in
"earbud" headphones and listen to the basketball playoffs over the web!

If you have any questions, give me a call (919-515-7226) or e-mail at
beichner@ncsu.edu. We can partially support visits to see our classrooms in
use.

Bob