Re: Lab space and computers

I use computers more in my HS physics lab, but space and setup time are
serious issues. I would appreciate hearing from those who have found a way
to fit computers into their lab space. (We use one room for both lecture and
lab)

Thanks in advance.
Owen von Kugelgen

Note:
Laptops are fine, but
a. It takes too much time to bring them out, connect an interface box, power
cords, etc.
b. Laptops can easily "disappear" if left out in an unlocked room
c. Laptops are expensive.

I would prefer to use desktop machines, but
a. They take up too much space
b. They are difficult to move out of the way when not in use.

One solution is to put the CPU's out of the way (under the lab tables) and
leave only the keyboards and an LCD display out in the open, but LCD displays
are very expensive (~$900?), while an imac (for example) can be purchased for
about the same $900.

Think about iBooks. they are not that much more expensive than iMacs,
take up less space, have provision for a security cable to be
attached, and, when the capability becomes a requirement, they can be
easily networked using AirPort--no wires! If you get them in orange,
it will also be a lot easier to spot one walking away, if someone is
capable of cutting the security cable. And if you build a little
shelf under the table top, they can be easily put out of the way when
you need the space for non-computer experiments. Both Pasco's and
Vernier's lab interface equipment works just fine with them, and they
also are compatible with CBLs, and most all of the video digital
projector equipment.

Hugh

--

Hugh Haskell