Re: Flipping the physics sequence

Absolutely no problem flipping light and waves before mechanics. One of
my Conceptual Physics classes was in our Space Science and Technology
Magnet. I started with waves so that we could hit telescopes early on.
There are some real advantages. (1) Waves are more qualitative and thus,
while still requiring some algebra skill, start them off on the
mathematics of physics at an easier level. (2) Waves are more
observable. (3) When dealing with sound and light you tap into their
frame of reference easier. And if you can grab Freshmen and turn them on
in the first few weeks in your physics class (which is easier to do with
waves than with mechanics) the student's outlook towards both science
and school is more positive and will pay off in the next years. First
impression count in classes too.

Go for it. The labs are fun. Finds the index of refraction of jello.

--
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
And I have no more papers in a heap