Re: Waves

At the time I guess I did, but since I learnt about culvert whistlers I've
become more cautious about what is or isn't the result of diffusion. Bill
Beaty is suggesting, as I understand, that the main pulse is transverse,
while the singing is the longitudinal pulse smeared out by the
whistler/waveguide effect, which requires a cable of non-negligible
thickness. This one was probably 3 or 4 cm thick. The singing sound was a
bit like what you hear from the rails when you stand near the track as a
train approaches.

Mark