Re: Where Have All the Boys Gone?

Hi, Folks:

I just finished reading Michael Edmiston's entry on Gender Difference
and the reasons for grade inflation. As a long-time high school teacher I
know that he has beautifully summarized the gender-grade scenario in
high school. I am guilty of many of the things he describes: I am so eager
to have females do well in my AP Calculus and Physics classes that I allow
them to do extra credit (not 'busy work, but extra labs) that boosts their
grades.
The extra credit is offered to everyone, of course, but it is almost
exclusively
the females who DO it. Although I comfort myself with the thought that my
classes are 'rigorous' and that the students could get A's in other classes
(I rationalize what I do), female's scores are definitely boosted over
their male
colleagues by extra credit.

Michael's other points concerning gender differences in approaches to
learning
are right on, as well. I find that I can't disagree with anything that he
said. I am
absolutely amazed that a mere college professor could have such insight into
student performance! (j/k, Mike). I applaud Michael for his even-handed
treatment
of a sensitive topic.

Wes Davis