Re: microwave, RF heating

Ok. I'm ready to believe that we don't want all of these
electromagnetic waves absorbed in our brains. While we don't seem to be
completely clear on the mechanism it does seem that these waves may do
some damage. I'm ready to focus on another part of the problem. Could
we give the cell-phone user some protection by designing a phone-user's
helment lined with aluminium? or mounting a small foil reflector between
the antenna and the head? Would such a reflector offer any protection
considering the fairly long wavelengths of the radiation? I don't know
the answers to these problems, but will await enlightenment from others.
Perhaps for some uses - automobiles - we could separate the microphone
and earphone part of the apparatus from the transmitter and get the
source of the radio waves away from the speaker. WBN

Barlow Newbolt
Professor of Physics
Washington and Lee University
e-mail: newboltw@wlu.edu
telephone: 540-463-8881
fax: 540-463-8884
Office: Howe 218

"Had I been present at the creation, I would have given
some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe."

Alphonso X, Learned King of Spain (1252 - 1284)