Re: R = V/I ?

Leigh responded to my posting about the internal resistance of a
battery. What is your definition of "dynamic resistance"?

V. Lindberg>A linear I-V plot does not make a resistor. An I V plot
of a battery
is linear (at least for small current draws) but it is not a
resistor. For a resistor, the graph must be proportional, linear
with no intercept.

I wish texts would make clear that "internal resistance" of a battery
is a dynamic resistance, and that this model of a battery only works
for limited amounts of current drawn from the battery.

The internal resistance r of a battery is not a dynamic resistance. It
is a model parameter that yields the approximate potential difference
V across a battery rated at E emf when current I is drawn from it:

V = E - Ir

Leigh

--
Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546