Re: R = V/I ?

He has just recently made a strong case for considering a lightbulb to be
"a device which does not obey Ohm's law". It seems to follow that it is
inappropriate to speak of the electrical resistance of a lightbulb. This
seems to be an idiosyncratic position to take, and I'm interested to see
how he will extricate himself from this corner.

This thread is getting beyond my ability to remember who said what in
response to what else, but I am having difficulty understanding how anyone
could define anything in terms of anything else unless everything beyond
that were held constant.

In the case of a lighted light bulb, it might be difficult (ie awkward) to
determine a useful resistance of the filament, but the resistance is
certainly definable.

I also don't understand why anyone might insist that to talk abut the
resistance of anything that that thing must be ohmic. Diodes have a
definable and measurable resistance and they certainly are not ohmic.

What did I miss????? I think that I must be lost.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen