Re: course evaluations

Rodney Dunning wrote:

I am finishing my first course (intro astronomy), and am working hard a
course evaluation instrument.

I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the Astronomy Diagnostic
Test (ADT):

http://solar.physics.montana.edu/aae/adt/index.html

The ADT was constructed by the multi-institutional Collaboration for
Astronomy Education Research (CAER). The test is free for an introductory
astronomy faculty members to use, with some agreed guidelines. In
particular, the test is not to be altered in any way, questions are not to
be left out, questions are not to be removed and placed on course quizzes
or exams, and the test items are not to be distributed to students lest the
items find their way into "student files." In exchange for using the ADT,
the authors respectfully request that you submit scores to the national
database (see the above web page for information).

The test does include demographic questions (gender, etc.), which you may
use or ignore at your option.

I've used the ADT as both a pretest and a posttest, and have found it very
enlightening. Give it a try!

Cheers,
Roger Freedman

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB