course evaluations

Teachers,

I am finishing my first course (intro astronomy), and am working hard a
course evaluation instrument.

If anyone can offer the wisdom of experience (do's and don'ts of question
phraseology , make sure you ask this, don't bother asking this, etc.- or,
effective strategies for getting useful information out of the responses)
I would very much appreciate it!

For example, would it be useful to ask the student for the grade she
expects to earn, to identify her gender or class status (Fr,So,etc)? Are
there good reasons _not_ to ask these things?

Thank you.

Rodney Dunning
e-mail: dunnirb4@wfu.edu