Re: non-potential voltage

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: non-potential voltage

In this case, an even more apropos example is z = arctangent(x/y). This
is
easily modelled using popsicle sticks; drill a hole in the middle of
each,
stack them on a string or rod, and then arrange them in a nice multi-turn
helix. There will be innumerably many z values for each (x,y)
position. An ant crawling around on the model can follow a path which
when
viewed from above projects onto a closed loop in the (x,y) plane; this is
analogous to close-loop motion of a test charge in the presence of a
changing magnetic field. In so doing, the ant can climb up the
helix; this is analogous to the increase in the test particle's
energy. Emphasize that x and y represent real space, while z abstractly
represents energy value, which is a nonfunction of x and y.

John, I'm having a hard time visualizing your ant-on-the-helix analogy. The
closed-loop view of the ant's motion is only a projection of its actual
motion along the helix. Your implication seems to be that the ant can
independently move in a planar closed loop (analogous to closed-loop motion
of a test charge in the presence of a changing magnetic field) and up and
down the helix (analogous to the increase in the test particle's energy).
How can it do one without the other?

(Fanatics note: This isn't my favorite representation of arctangent; I
much prefer the two-argument form z = atan2(x,y) which involves drilling a
hole at the _end_ of each stick... slope is the same but the z-axis period
is twice as large... alas this is harder to build.)

Why is this model harder to build? I made one years ago of cypress sticks
(1/2 x 1/4 x 8 inches) clamped together by a 20-inch threaded rod through
holes in one end and hanging on a string from a tree in the back yard. It
rotates like a barber pole in even a slight breeze.

Paul