From: "Paolo Cavallo" <ton0621@IPERBOLE.BOLOGNA.IT>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 2:29 PM
Subject: R: non-potential voltage

----- Original Message -----
From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@SFU.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: non-potential voltage

This is the first time I've heard the name Neuman (Neumann?)
associated with this equation. I've always parenthetically
noted that the minus sign is the expression of Lenz's law.
Who was Neuman and why is his name attached to this law
I've always attributed to Michael Faraday and Joseph Henry
(though I suspect neither expressed it mathematically)?

I always knew that law as the Faraday-Neumann-Lenz law. F.E. Neumann
(1798-1895) was a
phisicist and a teacher (Kirchhoff was a student of his). I believe that
H.F.E. Lenz
(1804-1865) was the first to state mathematically the rule about the
sign, and that
Neumann started from there to formulate the theory of induction.

Paolo Cavallo " I am a teacher at
ton0621@iperbole.bologna.it heart, and there
are moments in the
classroom when I can hardly hold the joy. "
P. J. Palmer, 1998