Re: Center-of-mass system

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Of greatest importance is that one should *never* allow the use of
"center of gravity"! There is no case where this atrocious construct
is more appropriate than "center of mass".

Indeed. In fact, leaving completely alone any question of its usefulness,
I have often wondered if there can even *be* a reasonable, general
definition of "center of gravity." For instance, consider a uniform thin
rod with a length equal to the radius of Earth tangent to Earth at one
end. Can somebody tell me where the center of gravity is and what
definition you are using?